10 Reasons Why Coconut Oil is Good for Your Health
[ Image courtesy of Phú Thịnh Co ]
Coconuts and coconut oil have been used by many people the world over for many years due to their numerous health benefits. They are especially popular in tropical areas where the coconut trees flourish. A number of studies have been conducted to research on their nutritional properties with positive results.
Coconut oil is extracted from the white fleshy part of the mature coconut fruit. It can be used in cooking and other purposes. The white fleshy part is pressed either manually or mechanically to extract coconut oil.
The following are ten reasons why coconut oil is good for your health:
1. It aids in the digestion process and the proper functioning of the bowel system. This is because coconut oil contains saturated fatty acids which help in killing bacteria and fungi present in the stomach which inhibit digestion. This also helps in preventing constipation.
2. It helps in preventing obesity and overweight related complications because the saturated fatty acids are easily converted by the liver into energy and not into fat deposits like other oils. It is the accumulated fat deposits which normally lead to obesity.
3. The conversion of fats into energy increases the rate of metabolism and cell regeneration. Cell regeneration refers to the formation of new body cells to replace old and worn out cells.
4. Coconut oil helps in the normal functioning of the heart. It contains safe saturated fatty acids which unlike other oils do not clog the heart and have low cholesterol levels. This ensures that the heart functions properly and can pump blood to the rest of the body without being overworked.
5. It helps in the assimilation of nutrients like vitamins, minerals and amino acids into the body which help in protecting the body against harmful bacteria and strengthening bones.
6. It helps in improving the functioning of the immune system. This is because coconut oil is composed of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antibacterial and antiviral properties. This helps in fighting off harmful bacteria and viruses which cause diseases like herpes, influenza, measles and hepatitis.
7. Since the saturated fatty acids found in coconut oil are easily converted into energy, this speeds up the functioning of the liver thereby reducing its workload and preventing diseases associated with the liver.
8. Coconut oil improves the secretion of insulin which is important in the regulation of the amount of glucose in the blood. It is very useful to patients suffering from diabetes. Coconut oil therefore aids in reducing the likelihood of being diagnosed with the disease.
9. Coconut oil is used in treating both internal and external infections. It has antibacterial properties that help in faster healing of skin infections, cuts and bruises as well as throat and urinary tract infections. It also helps in the repair of damages cells.
10. Coconut oil is used in preventing wrinkles and sagging of the skin. It can be applied to the entire body in place of a body lotion. It supports the natural chemical balance of the skin and makes it soft and reduces flaking.
In conclusion, coconut oil is very nutritious and provides many health benefits. Many nutritionists and health experts recommend the use of this oil for cooking, as a salad dressing and as medicine for treating various ailments.