Baked French Fries: The Healthy Option
A single serving of deep fried French fries contains a lot of fat and if you eat them regularly, this can pose health risks for you. Depending on the type of fat or oil used in cooking them, you could get high amounts of cholesterol and calories into your body which is not healthy.
A healthier option for you would be to eat baked French fries whenever you have the cravings. But these are not very easy to find in most restaurants.
So the best option is to make the baked French fries at home. The recipe is very simple and you’ll use little oil compared to the ones you buy at the restaurant. You also have the option to add your favourite spices and use the type of oil you love.
What’s In It For You?
This simple recipe provides the following nutrients:
- Carbohydrates – potatoes are good sources of carbs
- Fat – baked French fries require a little oil compared to the deep fried ones. Too much fat can lead to obesity But you want to use heart friendly oil to avoid heart related complications.
- Vitamin B6 – potatoes are good sources of vitamin B6 which helps in production of red blood cells, promoting health of the brain & nervous system and in liver detoxification.
- Vitamin B3 – is an antioxidant and helps in energy production.
- Vitamin C – is also an antioxidant that helps in preventing damage to the body cells through the effects of free radicals. It also helps in supporting the immune system, promoting brain health and production of collagen.
- Potassium -helps in maintaining normal blood pressure and kidney health.
- Copper – helps in production of energy and production of collagen which promotes bone and tissue strength.
- Manganese & Phosphorous- these help in supporting bone health.
How to Make Baked French Fries
The one part of this recipe that may take some time is peeling and chopping the potatoes. If you want to make enough to serve a large family or your friends, you’ll need to get down to the peeling and chopping ahead of time.
- 4 large Irish potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Chili pepper
You don’t necessarily have to use Irish potatoes. Any other type of potato easily available to you can be used.
The same thing applies to the oil. Use your favourite type but ensure that it’s good quality healthy oil.
Salt is optional and if you’re salt conscious there’s no need of adding it. Too much salt increases the risk of high blood pressure. You can compensate with spices of your choice.
- Coat the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of oil, salt(optional), chili pepper and any other spices you love.
- Preheat your oven to 1500C.
- Brush the other tablespoon of oil onto a baking sheet.
- Spread the chopped potatoes onto the baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let it sit on a rack or kitchen top for a minute to cool. This will help ensure that the baked French fries don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.