Fish Stew Recipe
Fish is a good source of omega oils and is quite healthy. Fish stew provides the body with many nutrients and is great for children. However, when deciding which type of fish to use in your stew, it is best to be conscious of who will be eating it.
Tilapia has many small bones and kids would have a hard time eating it. It could turn fatal if a child get’s choked with fish bones. In this case it is advisable to go for deboned fish.
Here is a simple fish stew recipe I love for cooking tilapia. It doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare and can be served with ugali or rice.
1. 1 whole fish, cleaned
2. 1 onion
3. 2 large tomatoes
5. Crushed ginger
6. Crushed garlic
7. Fresh lemon juice
8. Pepper (optional)
1. In a small bowl, mix the crushed garlic, ginger and fresh lemon juice.
2. Slit the fish across two or three times depending on the size.
3. Insert the crushed garlic, ginger and lemon juice into the open slits.
4. Deep fry the fish on both sides till brown and cooked.
5. Saute onions in little oil in a cooking pot till transluscent.
6. Add tomatoes and dhania.
7. Add salt then cook till they form a paste.
8. In a bowl, mix & stir 1/2 cup of water and royco.
9. Add to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil.
10.Put whole fish into the pot then let cook for ten minutes on both sides.
11.Serve with fried rice or ugali.
Don’t cook the fish in the pot for too long so that it crumbles.
Royco can be substituted with curry powder or any spice of your choice. You can also add it directly to the tomato paste without first mixing with water in a bowl.Curry powder doesn’t need to be mixed with water before adding to the pot.