How to Cook Meatless Pilau with Potatoes
Rice dishes are popular and loved everywhere. They can be cooked with various ingredients like vegetables, beef, mutton or chicken. Also, there are many people who are vegetarians and do not consume any meat, be it red or white meat.
Pilau is a rice dish which can be cooked either with meat or without. All it takes is a little creativity and you will have a delicious meal on your dining table. Therefore, this pilau recipe I am sharing does not contain any meat but is still as good as the more popular one.
- Pilau spices, either whole or ground
- Crushed fresh garlic
- Crushed fresh ginger
- Potatoes, cubed
- Cooking oil
A satchet of whole pilau is composed of dried cumin seeds, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamon and other spices. A small amount is taken then using a small mortar all the spices are crushed together with the fresh garlic and ginger.
- Add oil in a sauce pan and place on heat to warm it.
- Add the mixture of crushed spices, garlic and ginger to the oil. Cook for about two minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for a further five minutes then pour in enough water to cook the rice.
- Add salt then bring to a boil. Add the rice and cook till the rice is done and all the water has been absorbed.
Pilau may be served with any type of vegetable salad. The salad helps in making the meal balanced by providing other nutrients like Vitamins. It may also be served with any type of soup or stew, all of which depends on one’s desire.