Quick Bean stew
In a number of estates in Nairobi, it is common to find food vendors selling cooked Githeri, beans and green grams. You can eat the Githeri as it is or cook further with additional ingredients. Whenever I get home feeling tired, I buy from these food vendors then quickly fry them at home.
For the beans, here is a simple and easy to cook recipe. You can serve with rice, chapati or ugali.
- 1 cup boiled beans, drained
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 spring onion
- Royco/curry powder
- 1 bunch dania/coriander
- 1 garlic clove
1. Heat oil in a cooking pot.
2. Add chopped onions and saute for about three minutes on medium heat.
3. Add crushed garlic and cook for two more minutes
4. Add tomatoes and dania, then cook till they form a paste.
5. Add royco/curry powder, stir and cook for about two minutes. Do not let them stick to the cooking pot.
6. Add beans and stir to mix all the ingredients. Cook for about ten minutes stirring every five minutes to avoid sticking to pot.
7. Add 1 1/2 cups water. Taste for salt because of the royco, and if not enough add then simmer for about seven minutes.
Also, you can add green bell pepper and eggplant to the recipe. After adding the crushed garlic, add the bell pepper & cook till soft. Add the tomatoes, coriander and eggplant together but do not cook for long without adding a little water since the eggplant may absorb the oil. Add the other ingredients as above.