Scrumptious Dairy Free French Toast (Toast Mayai)
Most of us don’t like eating bread in the morning for three or more consecutive days. We prefer alternating bread with other breakfast option like donuts, scones, cereals, mandazi, samosa, viazi karai or French toast.
Dairy free French toast (Toast mayai) is a great substitute for plain old white or brown bread. You can make them with just a few eggs only or add spices to the beaten egg to suit your taste buds.
Although many recipes out there call for the addition of milk to the French toast recipe, you can still make scrumptious dairy free French toast (toast mayai) and enjoy it!
What’s In This Recipe?
Eggs are excellent sources of:
- Vitamins (A, B, D)
- Minerals (selenium, zinc, iron, iodine, phosphorous)
Bread on the other hand provides:
- Fiber (whole bread)
You can use any type of locally available bread with this recipe.
How to Make Dairy Free French Toast (Toast Mayai)
There are no spices in this recipe but you can add your favourite ones like cinnamon, ground garlic or nutmeg.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 eggs
- A few slices of bread
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Crack eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and beat well.
- If you want to include spices then add them at this stage and beat the egg and spice mixture until well combined.
- Warm a frying pan (on medium heat) and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Dip a slice of bread in the bowl of beaten eggs and coat both sides. Be careful not to soak the bread otherwise it will become too soft and break apart.
- Immediately transfer the slice of bread to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes until browned. Turn over the slice and cook the other side.
- Once done remove the dairy free French toast (toast mayai) from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Repeat the procedure for the other slices.
- Serve with a drink/beverage of your choice.
Give this simple French toast recipe a try and let me know how it went.